Examples of Analogy
Post by nattttAn Analogy is a likeness or similarity between things that are otherwise unlike.
Posted on 2011-01-11 10:32:42
Analogy is the comparison of two pairs which have the same relationship but different meaning. Analogies provide insights.
Some examples of analogy are:
* Hunting is to a tiger as working is for people.
* What key is to a lock, password is to a mobile phone.
* What ground is to a penguin, sky is to an eagle.
* What time is to a watch, light is to the sun.
* What moon is to the night, the sun is to the day.
* Lyrics is to a lyricist as music is to a composer.
* What anti-virus software is to a computer, vaccines are to a newborn.
* What angels are to heaven, devils are to hell.
* What pen is to paper, keyboard is to the computer monitor.
* Polar bears are to Arctic areas of the earth, camels are to the deserts of the world.
Is this example useful?
To share this example, copy and paste this code into your website, blog or forum:
Cognates Posted on 2011-01-14 17:00:39Cognates are words that have a common etymological origin. Examples of cognates in Indo-European languages are the words night (English), n...
Oxymoron Posted on 2011-01-11 12:25:51An oxymoron is a figure of speech that combines contradictory terms. Oxymorons appear in a variety of contexts, including inadvertent errors...
Puns in Romeo and Juliet Posted on 2011-01-11 12:21:22Examples of Puns in Romeo and Juliet: Prick love for pricking, and you beat love down. Mercutio: That dreamers often lie Romeo: In bed asl...
Pun or paronomasia Posted on 2011-01-11 12:20:43The pun, or paronomasia, is a form of word play which suggests two or more meanings, by exploiting multiple meanings of words, or of similar...
Idiom Posted on 2011-01-11 12:18:56An idiom is the expression from which figurative meaning can be derived. The 25,000 idioms in English language are figures of speech which a...