Examples of Apostrophe
Post by natttt1. Indicates the possessive case of singular and plural nouns, indefinite pronouns, and surnames combined with designations such as Jr., Sr., and II: my sister"s husband, my three sisters" husbands, anyone"s guess, They answer each other"s phones, John Smith, Jr."s car.
Posted on 2011-04-30 10:55:04
2. Indicates joint possession when used with the last of two or more nouns in a series: Doe and Roe"s report.
3. Indicates individual possession or authorship when used with each of two or more nouns in a series: Smith"s, Roe"s, and Doe"s reports.
4. Indicates the plurals of words, letters, and figures used as such: 60"s and 70"s; x"s, y"s, and z"s.
5. Indicates omission of letters in contractions: aren"t, that"s, o"clock.
6. Indicates omission of figures in dates: the class of "63.
Is this example useful?
To share this example, copy and paste this code into your website, blog or forum:
Sentences with semicolons Posted on 2012-02-08 10:50:57Examples: - Call me tomorrow; I will give you my answer then. - I have paid my dues; therefore, I expect all the privileges listed in the ...
Dash Posted on 2011-04-30 19:43:041. Indicates a sudden break or abrupt change in continuity: “If—if you"ll just let me ex-plain—" the student stammered. And the problem...
Comma Posted on 2011-04-30 19:41:261. Separates the clauses of a compound sentence connected by a coordinating conjunction: A difference exists between the musical works of Ha...
Exclamation Point Posted on 2011-04-30 11:02:441. Terminates an emphatic or exclamatory sentence: Go home at once! You"ve got to be kidding! 2. Terminates an emphatic interjection: Encor...
Question Mark Posted on 2011-04-30 11:02:04The rules for using question marks: - Use a question mark after a question. Example: Isn"t the Mason-Dixon line what separates y"al...