Examples of Homographs
Post by nattttA homograph ("same writing") is a word that has the same spelling as another word, but a different meaning, are one type of homonyms.
Posted on 2011-04-01 09:18:09
For example, punch and punch are homographs, but so are bow (Robin Hood"s weapon) and bow (the front of the ship). Homographs don"t have to be pronounced the same way.
More examples of homographs:
* Bear (animal) and bear (carry)
* porter (a weak beer) and porter (a man who carries luggage)
* lean (thin) and lean (rest against)
* lap (to drink with tongue) and lap (a circuit)
* plane (a tool) and plane (a tree)
* plain (ordinary looking) and plain (flat country)
* skip (to jump) and skip (to miss out)
* miss (unmarried woman) and miss (to overlook)
* pluck (to remove feathers) and pluck (bravery)
* type (to write via keyboard) and type (a sort)
* train (a loco and trucks) and train (to teach)
* fluke (a stroke of luck Fluke ( the fins on a whales tail)
* bow (bend forward) bow (front of a ship)
* quail (cower) quail (bird)
* fair (appearance) fair (reasonable)
* lie (horizontal position) lie (falsehood or untruth expressed as truth)
* lead (metal) Lead (start off in front)
* blue (the color) blue (the feeling of sadness)
Is this example useful?
To share this example, copy and paste this code into your website, blog or forum:
Always singular nouns Posted on 2011-05-07 19:07:20Examples of nouns that always are singular: water wine rice music coffee advice flu air sugar tea anger knowledge weather furniture...
Possessive nouns Posted on 2011-05-07 19:05:19A possessive noun is one which is possessed by a proper noun (name of person, place or animal) in a phrase. Examples of possessive nouns: ...
Hyphenated nouns Posted on 2011-05-07 19:02:24Some "compound nouns" are hyphenated nouns. There are three forms of compound words: - The closed form, in which the words are melded toget...
Cocrete and abstract nouns Posted on 2011-05-07 19:00:39All things that are concrete you can touch: dog cat sofa toast cheese More examples of concrete nouns: dirt, rock, apple, penicl, table, per...
Collective nouns Posted on 2011-05-07 18:57:39Examples of collective nouns (list): herd of antelope, army of ants, colony of ants, swarm of ants, shrewdness of apes, flange of baboons,...